In general, semiconductors and LSI devices have higher quality and reliability, there are many factors that can lead to the destruction of the device ( such as electrostatic discharge destruction, Mechanical damage and Moisture absorption, etc.) depending upon handling techniques, mounting and conditions of use. Pay careful attention to the following points when handling devices.
Also refer to JEITA EDR4701C “Handling Guidance for Semiconductor Devices”
0. Asahi Kasei Microdevices Corporation (“AKM”) reserves the right to make changes to the information contained in this document without notice. When you consider any use or application of AKM product stipulated in this document (“Product”), please make inquiries the sales office of AKM or authorized distributors as to current status of the Products.
1. All information included in this document are provided only to illustrate the operation and application examples of AKM Products. AKM neither makes warranties or representations with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this document nor grants any license to any intellectual property rights or any other rights of AKM or any third party with respect to the information in this document. You are fully responsible for use of such information contained in this document in your product design or applications. AKM ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSSES INCURRED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES ARISING FROM THE USE OF SUCH INFORMATION IN YOUR PRODUCT DESIGN OR APPLICATIONS.
2. The Product is neither intended nor warranted for use in equipment or systems that require extraordinarily high levels of quality and/or reliability and/or a malfunction or failure of which may cause loss of human life, bodily injury, serious property damage or serious public impact, including but not limited to, equipment used in nuclear facilities, equipment used in the aerospace industry, medical equipment,
equipment used for automobiles, trains, ships and other transportation, traffic signaling equipment,
equipment used to control combustions or explosions, safety devices, elevators and escalators,
devices related to electric power, and equipment used in finance-related fields. Do not use Product for the above use unless specifically agreed by AKM in writing.
3. Though AKM works continually to improve the Product’s quality and reliability, you are responsible for complying with safety standards and for providing adequate designs and safeguards for your hardware, software and systems which minimize risk and avoid situations in which a malfunction or failure of the Product could cause loss of human life, bodily injury or damage to property, including data loss or corruption.
4. Do not use or otherwise make available the Product or related technology or any information contained in this document for any military purposes, including without limitation, for the design, development, use, stockpiling or manufacturing of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons or missile technology products (mass destruction weapons). When exporting the Products or related technology or any information contained in this document, you should comply with the applicable export control laws and regulations and follow the procedures required by such laws and regulations. The Products and related technology may not be used for or incorporated into any products or systems whose manufacture, use, or sale is prohibited under any applicable domestic or foreign laws or regulations.
5. Please contact AKM sales representative for details as to environmental matters such as the RoHS compatibility of the Product. Please use the Product in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations that regulate the inclusion or use of controlled substances, including without limitation, the EU RoHS Directive. AKM assumes no liability for damages or losses occurring as a result of noncompliance with applicable laws and regulations.
6. Resale of the Product with provisions different from the statement and/or technical features set forth in this document shall immediately void any warranty granted by AKM for the Product and shall not create or extend in any manner whatsoever, any liability of AKM.
7. This document may not be reproduced or duplicated, in any form, in whole or in part, without prior written consent of AKM.
The datasheets for semiconductor devices indicate the functions and electrical characteristics of the device and the scope to which these are guaranteed. It is important that to design circuits such that the specification values and derating indicated in the AKM datasheet are satisfied with an appropriate margin.
Derating should be used and consideration should be made to allow a slight margin in the circuit design.
From the perspective of reliability design, items that should be taken into consideration during design work include countermeasures against external noise and surge voltage, overshoot due to reactive loads, and latch-up in CMOS products, and others.
For a system to achieve the desired level of reliability, consider these effects of the surroundings of the device.
(1) Place such that the temperature near the semiconductor device does not become excessively high.
(2) Maintain the power supply voltage, input voltage and power consumption within the rated values.
(3) Ensure that excessive voltage due to noise is not applied to or induced in the input, output or power supply ins.
(4) If plastic molded semiconductor devices are placed in a strong electric field, then polarization of the plastic materials and the passivation layer results, which may cause errors in operation. A shield should be used when placing the devices in environments with strong electric fields.
(5) Prevent the occurrence of static electricity during use.
(6) To avoid external surges, etc., place a protective circuit in the input and output section.
(7) Ensure that the voltage applied is balanced when the power supply is being turned on/off.
For example, excessive stress will result if a voltage is applied to the input or power supply pins while the grounding pin of the circuit is floating.
(8) For products that use multiple power supplies, the start-up and shut-down should be done in the power supply sequence specified in the AKM datasheet.
Contact our technical representative with any questions about this sequence or other matters.
Though AKM products have higher quality and reliability, there are many factors that can lead to the destruction of the device (such as electrostatic discharge destruction, mechanical damage and moisture absorption, etc.) depending upon handling techniques and conditions of use.
Pay careful attention to the following points when handling devices.
a) We recommend the following temperature and humidity conditions for the storage locations of the semiconductor devices.
- For LSI products
Temperature: 5 - 30 °C
Humidity: 70% RH or less
- For sensor products
Temperature: 5 - 35°C
Humidity: 40 - 85% RH
In cases where the use of a humidifier is necessary, use purified water or boiled water.
If tap water is used, then the chlorine in it may cause corrosion of the device terminals.
b) Avoid dusty locations and locations with corrosive gases.
c) Rapid changes in temperature may cause condensation on the device. Avoid these environments, and store devices in locations with as little temperature variation as possible.
Also avoid environments exposed to direct sunlight or strong light.
a) When stacking storage cases, packing boxes or corrugated cardboard boxes, ensure that no load is placed on the devices stored. Avoid placing heavy products on top.
b) Store semiconductor devices with their external leads unprocessed. If devices are stored after lead bending processing, then corrosion may occur on the bent parts and cause soldering failure.
c) Do not place products using organic rubber materials close to semiconductor devices.
Sulfur released from the organic rubber materials may corrode the terminals. (Silver in particular is known to react with sulfur.)
Be particularly careful about the materials used in binding, non-slip surfaces and mats, etc.
When semiconductor devices are stored for long periods, the solderability of the terminals may deteriorate because of corrosion, and the electrical characteristics may fail.
This can occur if the packaging is opened, but it also can occur without opening the package. If AKM products have been in storage for a prolonged period, verify the safety of storage conditions sufficiently before use.
To avoid damaging the quality and reliability of semiconductor device products, pay careful attention to the mounting methods used.
Soldering conditions for individual products will depend on factors such as the package, the printed circuit board, the soldering method and the equipment used.
For surface-mount package products which have become smaller and thinner, pay particular attention to the methods and conditions described below.
The conditions for the reflow method (infrared reflow oven) for surface-mount packages recommended by AKM are shown in Figure below (The maximum number of reflow cycles is two.).
The temperature shown in that figure is the temperature of the resin part of the package, but it is essential that the peak temperature at the leads is also kept within this range. Also ensure that the temperature difference between the resin surface and the back side stays within 10 ﾟC.
It is important to keep within the limits in the reflow zone to ensure solderability and to keep within the limits in the peak and the preheat zones to avoid destruction of the device.
Packaged products will continually absorb moisture when stored in normal conditions. When products that have absorbed water are heated in the reflow oven, the packaged main body of the device is heated together with the leads and the water that has infiltrated inside the resin expands. This will cause problems such as internal delamination or package cracks.
These problems can be avoided by handling the product in a way which is appropriate for its MSL.
* The MSL of a package expresses the potential vulnerability of a component to damage during reflow soldering due to moisture absorption. AKM refers to general standards and performs reflow thermal resistance tests to check the MSL (Moisture Sensitivity Levels).
Once the moisture-proof packing has been opened, baking will be necessary if the storage period is exceeded, or if the product is placed in an area of high humidity and absorbs moisture. Based on JEDEC J-STD-033C (Handling, Packing, Shipping and Use of Moisture/Reflow Sensitive Surface Mount Devices), AKM recommends these conditions for processing to remove moisture and for storage after this processing:
The trays used by AKM are heat resistant ones, so baking may be done under these conditions:
Moisture removal processing conditions: Baking at 125 °C for 24 hours
However, if the baking is done with the trays bound together, then the trays may deform; remove the binding before baking.
The embossed tape and reels and the plastic tubes are not heat resistant, so it is not possible to perform baking with the conditions described in (1)
To perform baking with the conditions described in (1), remove the products from the embossed tape or tube.
If baking is to be done in the packaged state, use these conditions:
Moisture removal processing conditions: Baking at 40 °C and 5% RH or less for 13 days
Or storage for 13 days in a moisture barrier bag containing a desiccant or in a desiccator
These conditions are for thin package products (with package thicknesses 1.4 mm or less), which cover majority of AKM products. The products with packages greater than 1.4 mm in thickness require different conditions, so contact us for further direction. (see the product’s datasheet for the package thickness.)
Floor life is the period permitted from the opening of the moisture barrier bag, or else from the completion of processing to remove moisture, up until the mounting.
If the period of moisture absorption is 12 hours or less, then storing in a desiccator under the following conditions will make it possible to reset the floor life (cancel the progress so far) or else pause it (temporarily halt its progress).
Reset conditions: Storage at room temperature and 10% RH or less for 5 times as long as the period of moisture absorption
Pause conditions: Storage within the period of the floor life at room temperature and 10% RH or less
Products should be stored in the conditions below after processing to remove the moisture.
Storage conditions: 5 - 30 °C and 70% RH or less for 7 days or less
Please mount the product before this storage period is exceeded.